Tobago

Tobago
Horizon at Sandy Point

Saturday, November 27, 2010

More gifts than we know!

When we were little, we could never understand this saying, "it's better to give than receive." It was entirely beyond a child's comprehension. We wanted the world, but what did we have to give?

As a six year old, and the eldest with two siblings, I remember not the presents but the pleasure of receiving the packages from my mother's youngest brothers, barely out of their teens and already "working men." I loved the colourfulness and crinkliness of the gift paper. What special secret they could hold - I could only imagine. To this day, I savour the moment before the gift is opened. And I remember my uncles, the boys that they were.

The moment is the gift! That piece of connection is the meaning of the gift.

So many years past now, so many gifts given and received.

And life does have a way of going back on itself. Who could anticipate that the child of more than a generation ago would one day appreciate "it's better to give than receive." Who knew that the turning earth always brings us back to ourselves. To see the child and to cherish her - precociousness and all. To say to those who wish to rush past childhood, to rush to open the gift, to rush past the moments that connect you to those around you, to who you truly are, "slow down, you move too fast, gotta make this moment last..."

And I give you today, and for all your special moments, this from Rabindranath Tagore - brought back to me as a gift that I had given many years ago:

"The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs
through the world and dances in rhythmic measures. It is the same life
that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of
grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers."

- Rabindranath Tagore


2 comments:

  1. If there is no one to receive our gift do we still experience the share joy of being able to give?
    My father use to say "One hand doh clap"

    ReplyDelete